[alberg30] Remove step plate

John Birch Sunstone at idirect.com
Tue Nov 23 06:45:24 PST 1999

From: John Birch <Sunstone at idirect.com>

Or Cedar, or masonite.    Masonite is what they used in the first generation of
A-30s and A-37s in the early years and those decks are bullet proof.   I've only
heard of a few cockpit delaminations but none rotted.    The Schedule was gelcoat,
csm, cloth, csm, heavy cloth, csm, cloth, woven roaving, csm, heavy cloth, csm,
masonite, repeat process again with second layer of masonite (1/4", I believe was
used), then finish with csm,cloth, heavy cloth csm.  Use Epoxy as this is attached
to cured polyester. In the boundary layers between the two masonite eliminate the
roaving for, heavy cloth and cloth.

If you can get a core sample out of an old boat you'll see what I mean, the
roaving is used for the rapid build up of the raised portion or go with plywood, I
think masonite is more stable, less rot prone though.

Check the Gibbs and Cox Schedule for glass layup. For my 2 cents worth,

John