[alberg30] Remove step plate

SutherlandT sutherlandt at prodigy.net
Tue Nov 23 06:24:57 PST 1999

From: SutherlandT <sutherlandt at prodigy.net>

Guy ... When I removed the plate it appeared to be solid glass. The 6 machine
screws which hold the mast plate in position seemed to be set in the glass. I
figured this was OK since the standing rigging was not going to let the mast
plate go up. It seemed to me that this arrangement was just to prevent the
plate from moving around on the cabin top. Due to the fact that there had been
enough deterioration in the aluminum threads where the SS machine screws were
threaded through the Alm. plate I elected to replace the threads. I did this
with "Heli Coils".I found this to work quite well. I also "Heli Coiled" the
four screws which hold the mast to the plate. My cabin top appeared to be in
very good condition.

Tom S
A30  #412
InCahoots