[alberg30] Rudder project continued

THOMASHMCD at aol.com THOMASHMCD at aol.com
Sun Nov 28 07:36:15 PST 1999

From: THOMASHMCD at aol.com

Russ, It looked from the pics that you sent that you had glassed around the
front of the rudder shaft as well?  I was thinking 2 pieces of 1" marine
plywood laminated together with west system to give me the same 2" thickness
as the back of the keel, and then glass over that.  My main "unknown" is the
hinge (pintle/gudeon) connection between keel and rudder and connection
between rudder and shaft.  The gudeons attached to keel seem OK.  The top one
has a hole and the bottom one a pin that spins.  Does this sound correct?  I
was thinking a bronze rod attached to the front of the rudder between the
grudeons with pin holes top and bottom. I then could use like plumbers tape
(bronze) to wrap around the front edge with bolt going through the front and
sides to give lateral strength.  I could do the same around the rudder shaft.
 Does stainless survive underwater well or is bronze better?  What about
dissimilar metal problems with bronze?

Tom
Sensei, #49