[alberg30] bow pulpit measurement

alberg30 alberg30 at interactive.net
Tue Nov 30 07:17:17 PST 1999

From: "alberg30" <alberg30 at interactive.net>

George: so after much deliberation here's my plan for the bowsprit.

First I particularly like the setup that Tom Sutherland has on his boat.
Tom provided me with some detailed measurements and plans from his
bowsprit, and I plan to modify them slightly.

On newer boats, we have a stem fitting that has fairleads bolted or screwed
into the fitting at the bow. The whole thing is one giant metal piece. I
tried unsuccessfully this year to unscrew the fairleads. Removing the
fairleads would allow the bowsprit to rest  against the stem fitting.
Unfortunately, I can't get them out. I tried heat, anti-corrosion juice,
and even an impact wrench that actually cracked my gelcoat when I whacked
the stemplate area. Thus I have opted to leave the fairleads in place.
Initial measurements indicate that the bowsprit can be raised approximately
7" off the deck to clear the fairleads. Tom's, I think, is around 2" to 2
1/2". To get me the 7",  I plan to use mahogany blocks under the bowsprit
bolted through the stem fitting and the deck.

I plan to make the total length of the bowsprit 4' at 12" wide. Because the
bowpulpit stanchion supports are angled, I think at seven inches off the
deck I can fit the entire 12" wide bowsprit. If not I will cut 1/2 circle
openings around the stanchion area. I plan to align the board along the
center of the boat using cutouts, just like to Tom, to accommodate the
shackle for the headsail  as well as the turnbuckle fitting for the fore
stay. While 7" sounds like a lot, it will allow me to still reach the
fairleads if I have to, and will make the whole bowsprit stand out more
like a plateform raised above the bow fittings. I may add new fairleads to
the bowsprit afterwards.

The bowsprit will be this crazy piece of teak that is 12" x 48", its
actually 1/2"+ thick. On the underside, it will have two 2"x1"x 48"  of
mahogany that will run fore and aft on each edge of the main teak piece.
This will add support to the teak lengthwise , as I am not sure what 1/2"
teak will hold my weight. (I wanted a bowsprit I could stand on, and I'm a
big fat bastard.) I am not sure what portion of the board will be bolted to
the boat, and what percentage will be overhang, but it will slightly less
on the boat side than Tom's plans.

On top of the teak board, will be 3/4" wide, 1/4" thick pieces of mahogany
that will run the length of the board. These will basically be decorative
and add some tread, since the piece of teak has been varnished smooth over
the years and looks plain.

On the end of the bowsprit, I will attach bow roller(s) similar to Tom's. I
may even put a cutout in the end of the bowsprit for a plow or CQR--but I
don't have one of those so then again maybe not.

My biggest concern, and I'd appreciate all opinions, is aestectically will
the 7" be too high, not high enough? I think raising the whole bowsprit
like a platform might not look so bad. I don't anticipate any headsail
interference.

I am currently working on a plywood mockup to get the measurements and
cutouts correct.

Thanks again;

Joe #499
"One Less Traveled"