[alberg30] another boom query

SandersM at aol.com SandersM at aol.com
Wed Oct 6 21:41:17 PDT 1999

From: SandersM at aol.com

TO THE LIST:

As I begin the task of rerigging WILD ELF, the boom keeps sticking in mind
(metaphorically, of course).  My gooseneck slides up and down on a track
below the sail track.  The boom travels a foot or so upward on the track when
the main is fully hoisted.  When the main is lowered, all of the sail track
cars stop a foot or so above the boom.

I am planning to have a fully-battened main cut, and this is the source of my
concern.  One of the appealing aspects of full battens is their contribution
to ease of furling and reefing the main.  But as the boom sinks when the main
halyard is eased, and the sail is stopped from falling to the boom by the end
of its track, the current configuration would seem to thwart both.

Has anyone given this any thought?  Is there a compelling reason for having
the gooseneck on a slide?  Can't sail shape be controled in most conditions
simply by easing or tightening the halyard, with a fixed gooseneck?  If there
is some reason for keeping the boom on a slide, then is there some way to put
it on the same slide as the sail track, so that the sail can drop all of the
way to the boom for reefing and furling?  Is this an issue that the folks at
the Triton loft know about?  Or is it an issue only in my imagination?

I apologize in advance if you all have already run this subject to ground in
my absence.  But if I'm going to rerig the boat over the winter, I'd like to
get it right the first time around.  All advice and observations, as always,
are greatly appreciated.

Sanders McNew
WILD ELF  (# 297)
New York City