[alberg30] #$%&$#! Electrics

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Tue Oct 12 07:33:43 PDT 1999

From: Gordon White <gewhite at crosslink.net>

Tom:
    I have had similar problems on cars and boats and trailers. You probably
have an intermittent short somewhere in a light or a switch that is allowing
current to "leak" into your running lights. This is often a problem on a car or
trailer with ground return through the frame. I can't tell you precisely where
or what, but I bet that if you take apart the lights, one by one, you will find
a bad connection or corroded socket that is the trouble. These come and go
because the problem is not a dead short, but a partial one and subject to change
with temperature, movement, etc.
    The original Alberg "zip cord" wiring is so bad that it needs to be replaced
if it has not already been replaced. I re-wired my boat several years ago and am
much happier with it. There were any number of twisted connections and dead ends
that I had a hard time sorting it out so I just chucked it all.
                        - Gordon White