[alberg30] #$%&$#! Electrics

Forhan, Thomas Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov
Tue Oct 12 11:15:15 PDT 1999

From: "Forhan, Thomas" <Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov>

I don't have the slightest clue as to what is going on here- can anyone
help...?

Saturday evening  we were coming into Dun Cove to meet up with the last
night of the A30 fall cruise. As dusk fell, I put on the running lights, and
found that only the stern light lit up. At more or less the same time,
complaints from down below that the cabin lights were not working.

Once we were rafted up I checked all fuses, no problems. Turned off the
running lights, and noticed -as it got darker- that when the cabin light
switch was on, all the running lights were on- but very, very dim. The cabin
lights themselves still did not work, at all.

 Both batteries were charged, to about 13 volts on my micky-mouse voltmeter.

An early night then, but to make sure I didn't have something on that I did
not know about, I turned off the battery main switch for the night.

In the morning, turned it on, and all was back to normal. Running lights
were on when switched on, cabin lights were operating. So, of course, I have
nothing to investigate, but I don't want to have this happen again, maybe in
the middle of the Bay at night!  The lights all functioned normally on our
August cruise, and I've done no electrical work since then. Where should I
start?

Thanks,

Tom F.

Choose from a wide selection of high-quality newsletters at ONElist.
For details on ONElist's PROS&PUNDITS newsletters, click below.