[alberg30] Roller Furling for A30?

Joe Tokarz alberg30 at interactive.net
Tue Oct 12 19:23:12 PDT 1999

From: alberg30 at interactive.net (Joe Tokarz)

To the Group:

[Perhaps this has been discussed before, if so just reference the archive
date and I'll check it out.]

I'd like to introduce a new topic: roller furling for the headsails on an
A30.

 I am finally considering purchasing headsail furling for my Alberg. If I
go for it, what would you suggest?

Which brand?
What size? Will furling gear rated for a 30' sailboat fit the Alberg? What
is the length of the forestay?

Does anyone have experience with Sea Furl from Hood, it's advertised at
under $500 for a 30' boat thru West Marine.

My own research indicates that ProFurl is possibly the best-- at least
their owners are very enthusiastic. Any thoughts?

 Also I understand that most headsails need to be modified for roller
furling. Is this just the addition of the protective cloth on the leech, or
is there more to it like recutting etc. What about the hanks? do they
change to some other sort of sail track device?

Thanks in advance;

Joe #499
"One Less Traveled"