[alberg30] non skid deck pattern reprod.

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Fri Oct 22 07:43:36 PDT 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

In a message dated 10/21/99 8:29:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
alberg30 at interactive.net writes:

<< Has anyone got an easy way to re-create the non-skid area in some places
 where I reglassed or sanded down the original grid? I plan to eventually
 cover all non-skid with epoxy encapsulated model train sand and then paint

Hey Joe,

I remember reading an article in a sailing magazine about reproducing the
non-skid pattern of the deck in a repaired area.  The basic premise was to
make a mold of the pattern from an unafected area with silicone caulking
material.  If I remember correctly, you spray the area to be copied with a
seperation solution of some description to prevent adhesions, then plaster
the area with a thick carpet of silicone bedding compound.  Once set, you
carefully pull up the silicone, and voila, you have a mold of the pattern.
Spray the mold with more seperation solution, mix up some epoxy, and then you
can put the pattern on the deck whereever you want.

Bear in mind I am just writing what I remember from reading this old article.
 Maybe the books on restoring old fiberglass boats will have more specific
instructions.  In fact, I'm sure they would be more specific!!

Hope this helps,
Lee
Stargazer #255