[alberg30] Sound resources, sails and rigging

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Mon Oct 4 08:55:05 PDT 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

Sanders have you thought of NAFTA and the idea of getting your sails
made by Joe Fernandez of Triton Sails, who was the factory supplier for
Whitby when he was with the Taylor Loft.   He has been building great
sails for 40 years, we have a new inventory for Sunstone from him.   Ask
about his two ply leach option, with full battens it is bullet proof.
Many of the racers in our club use him so they are not slow, the last 3
feet of our main is two ply and that is almost always where a sail
fails.   I'm very happy with them at any rate.   Joe is in Mississaugga
just west of Toronto, his number is 1-905-891-8166.

Rigging: Standing, do it yourself, you'll save a fortune and if the wire
is more than 10 years old it should be changed regardless.  Buy Norsemen
or Staloc end fittings and in the future all you'll need is new cones as
the fittings are reusable.   A Dremmell tool with a cutting disk is just
the ticket for cutting the wire, use some tape so it doesn't splay.
Use the old wire to determine length.  1/4"for the uppers, 7/32" for the
lowers.  I used Norseman Marine in Ft Lauderdale, direct shipped.

Do your chain plate bolts at the same time if you haven't already.

West and Defender all have pre-cut halyards with splices, if you don't
like doing splices, or you can get from them wire with rope tails if you
want to stick with wire halyards as we did (less stretch and the exotic
aramids you need to get to achieve similar wire stretch characteristics
seemed to me to be circuitous).

Don't forget to give your turnbuckles a good going over and a hard
thought if it isn't worth replacing them too.

By doing it yourself the money you save on yard labour will be spent on
the superior wire terminals and new wire, in my opinion is definitely
the way to go.  That is what we did with both Albergs Windrose and
Sunstone.  You can do a lot more for the same money and for goodness
sake if your boat still has nicro presses instead of wire terminals on
the standing rigging anywhere get rid of it, it was one of those
annoying corner cuttings that Whitby did for a time and it compromises
the rig.

Enjoy, and fair winds,

John Birch, Sunstone KC-65
SandersM at aol.com wrote:

> From: SandersM at aol.com
>
> TO THE LIST:
>
> My plans for laying WILD ELF up for the season are still in flux.  I need a
> yard with a good rigger -- she needs all new running rigging, and I'd like
> the standing rigging gone over with care.  There's a laundry list of sundry
> mechanical and cosmetic chores, and I'd like to have a new suit of sails cut
> for her.
>
> I'm looking for a good yard and loft somewhere on the Long Island Sound to
> attend to these things during the winter.  I'd like to be able to say that
> money is no object, but of course it is.  All advice and references are
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Sanders McNew
> WILD ELF (# 297)
> New York City

Choose from a wide selection of high-quality newsletters at ONElist.
For details on ONElist's PROS&PUNDITS newsletters, click below.