[alberg30] mechanical boom

Dick Filinich daf at mobiletel.com
Wed Oct 6 17:48:12 PDT 1999

From: Dick Filinich <daf at mobiletel.com>

My boat has a boom with a mechanical fitting on the end at the
gooseneck.It has a square stem that is turned by a crank with square
hole which turns I'm guessing a worm gear inside which rotates the boom
to port or stbd.My guess is that this is used when a boat will be on the
same tack for a long period of time,to ease tension on very bottom of
sail at bolt rope?Used when racing for better sail shape?Keeps kids
occupied when they get bored ?If anyone is familiar with what I've
described,I'd liked to hear your comments and solve this riddle.

"High Spirits"#191 Galliano,La.

Get EXPERT CONTENT at ONElist!
Join PROS&PUNDITS.  For details go to: