[alberg30] mechanical boom

Scott Wallace tristan at one.net
Wed Oct 6 15:19:35 PDT 1999

From:	Scott Wallace <tristan at one.net>

Sounds like roller furling on the boom.  If you need to reef and shorten
sail you can roll up the excess sail on the boom.

Tristan, sailor of Spindrift, a Pearson Electra designed by Carl Alberg

Dick Filinich wrote:

> From: Dick Filinich <daf at mobiletel.com>
>
> My boat has a boom with a mechanical fitting on the end at the
> gooseneck.It has a square stem that is turned by a crank with square
> hole which turns I'm guessing a worm gear inside which rotates the boom
> to port or stbd.My guess is that this is used when a boat will be on the
> same tack for a long period of time,to ease tension on very bottom of
> sail at bolt rope?Used when racing for better sail shape?Keeps kids
> occupied when they get bored ?If anyone is familiar with what I've
> described,I'd liked to hear your comments and solve this riddle.
>
> "High Spirits"#191 Galliano,La.

Choose from a wide selection of high-quality newsletters at ONElist.
For details on ONElist's PROS&PUNDITS newsletters, click below.