[alberg30] #$%&$#! Electrics

Mpete53 at aol.com Mpete53 at aol.com
Tue Oct 12 17:45:12 PDT 1999

From: Mpete53 at aol.com

I have found that most electrical problems can be traced down with a cheap
volt meter.

    Troubles such as dim lights (if the battery is charged) means that there
is a voltage loss somewhere in the circuit. The entire circuit, anywhere from
the + batt. post to the - batt. post could be the problem.

    Low voltage systems such as the 12 volt systems on our boats are very
susceptible to problems caused by poor connections. A mar 1.2 volt though a
circuit means that 10% of your power is being lost. The voltage drop
across a resistance (a poor connection, corroded wire or the electrical
appliance all are resistance's) is defined by the formula
    V = I * R
    V= volts
    I= Current in amps
    R= resistance in ohms

For a given resistance, the greater the current, the greater the voltage
drop. This means that a connection that can adequately handle the power for
the cabin lights alone, may not be able to handle the additional load of the
running lights. Since most boat systems use common feed to the fuse panel and
a common ground back to the engine block or battery, my guess is that your
problem lies in one of these places.

    I would with The Engine OFF, turn on all the lights, radios, etc. that I
could then start looking for the trouble spot.

    Install an in line fuse holder (1 or 2 amp fuse) on the end of a long
wire this is to prevent an accidental brush with a ground from being a fire
hazard. Connect the fuse holder to the + Batt terminal and the other end to
the + wire of the meter.

    With the meter set at 12 volts DC, start checking voltages.

    Work your way along the + side of the circuit, from the +Batt. back to
the appliances + side. There should be no movement of the needle. If there
is, look for a bad connection between the last two spot tested.

    Test the - side the same way except, connect the fuse holder to the -
Batt. terminal and the other end to the - tester lead.

    You should be able to find the trouble spot using this method. If you
have gone over the system with the meter set at 12 volts DC and not found any
big voltage drops, try it again with the meter set at 6 volts DC, remember
you are looking for a small voltage drop, 1.2 V= 10% power loss 2.4V =20 %
power loss.

I hope this helps you track down the deviant electrons on you A30

Mark

Choose from a wide selection of high-quality newsletters at ONElist.
For details on ONElist's PROS&PUNDITS newsletters, click below.