[alberg30] Insurance, one experience

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sat Oct 16 13:33:17 PDT 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hey Russ,
Yes, Boat/US required a survey when I bought Stargazer, so you're right,
there is an up front fee there that is best avoided if possible, but....I
wanted a survey anyway.  As Dirty Harry said to Hal Holbrook "A man has to
know his limitations." !!!!
After my 'career' of rebuilding old, wooden boats with my dad for so many
years, when I went to buy the Alberg 22, I figured, 'a 22 foot fiberglass
boat, that looks immaculate, what could be wrong?', and didn't bother with a
survey.  I even broke the cardinal rule- I bought her in the water. (I can
hear all the experienced salts on the line cringe. rightly so.)  We bought
her in April, had a fantastic, great season sailing and cruising her up and
down the Sound, and only hauled her when that 44 foot boat broke free and
smashed her up a week before Thanksgiving.  Well,  after she was hauled and
blocked up, the owner of the yard, who was a friend of mine, said, "What are
you going to do about the bottom?"  The Bottom?; I was concerned about the
deck damage, and dealing with that. "The bottom" Bill said gravely. "You're
boat is badly pocked by osmosis."  And he took me over to the boat, and
popped a blister in my face, to prove his point.  The bottom was covered,
from bow to stern with blisters.  We spent the winter stripping off the
gelcoat on the bottom, then let her sit to dry out, then had to wait until it
was warm enough in the spring to replace the bottom with the West Program,
which in 1990 was the best way of dealing with osmosis.  It was a miserable
job.  We didn't launch next season until July 1!!!A survey would have
revealed the problem, and then even if we had decided to still buy the boat,
which we probably would have, we at least could have negotiated the purchase
price to include the osmosis repair.  Live and learn, I guess.
The previous owner had kept the boat in the  water all year, only hauling one
week in august to paint the bottom.  This of course made the blisters worse,
the bottom never drying out.  I don't think he was aware of the extent of the
problem. Fortunately, all of the blisters were superficial, none extending
into the laminate. A 1979 hull, that was the time of the blisters. Stargazer,
from 1967, has her problems (Groan- someday I AM going to have to do the toe
rail!!), but fortunately, blistering is not one of them.
Speak soon, Russ, friends,
Lee
Stargazer #255