[alberg30] Winterizing A-4 and othe rthings.

Robert Kirk kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 21 08:56:30 PDT 1999

From: Robert Kirk <kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov>

At 02:20 PM 10/21/99 +0000, shawnwilliam at msn.com wrote:
>From: shawnwilliam at msn.com
>
>Can anyone give me some guidence on winterizing my A-4

One advantage of  a straight salt water cooled, non-thermostat system is
easy winterizing.  After you haul and are on the blocks:

    Remove cooling intake hose from sea cock and slip the end into a length
of garden hose, the other end of which is in a bucket of fresh water.
    Start engine and let the fresh water go thru engine; add more water to
bucket from a water hose, if you'd like.
    While still running, pour antifreeze into bucket. When exhaust spits
out green (or pink), you're done.
    With engine still warm, suck out old oil thru dipstick and refill.

    Top off you gas tank to prevent a lot of condensation over the Winter.

That's it. I know other folks do things with spark plugs, Marvel Mystery
Oil, fogging etc, but I don't, and it always starts well in the spring.

While you're at it, empty the fresh water tank, add some (pink) antifreeze
and pump your head & sinks till the pink comes out.

>, painting down below,

Mildew is an enemy. Scrub first with a bleach solution, Top Job, or
whatever. Then prime with Kilz. Then paint, any oil based household paint.
No UV to worry about down below.

>  repairing wood support beam

Get an expert to do it. Or at least use aluminium plates from Read Beigel,
then jack the beam  and sister the plates.

>, adding pressure water( is hot water possible).

Tough guys don't need them. (The real answer is,I don't know.)

Cheers,
Bob Kirk
Isobar #181