[alberg30] deck painting- Interlux Rocks!

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Thu Oct 21 23:22:37 PDT 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

Joe:

I use an old trick I read in Yachting in the late '60s.  Take a good area of
diamond non-skid and apply a heavy coat of mold release agent or carnuba paste
boat wax, 4 Seasons is good.   Then take some CLEAR silicon bathtub (household)
caulk and after wetting the deck area by spitting  (you don't want it to stick)
apply the caulk liberally until it is about 3/8 thick and put a light board
with wax paper in-between to apply an even pressure.  Lightly press down to
fill the diamond skid and leave to set for 24 hours or what ever the cure time.

Remove the board, then the wax paper and peel the silicon mold off the deck
with the diamond pattern captured on the silicon.   Now apply the gelcoat to
the area needing a pattern and with more wax on the mold apply the silicone
mold to the deck aligning the pattern through the CLEAR mold.   That is why you
want clear silicon.   Put the wood back on to press the mold into the gelcoat
and let cure.   Simply peel it off and you have the pattern again. It may take
a couple of tries but once you get it you'll get a fairly good result, in fact
if your patient you'll get extremely good results as I've used the technique
many times.

But heavily coat the deck with wax before you take the pattern and if a slight
discolouration takes place from not enough wax, I've had good results with "Non
SKID Deck Wash" from Starbright.

As for painting, always follow the manufacturers instructions.

John