[alberg30] Teak lazarette top, etc.

Bob Lincoln lincoln at cc.UManitoba.CA
Fri Oct 22 08:38:23 PDT 1999

From: "Bob Lincoln" <lincoln at cc.UManitoba.CA>

Since the geese are really flying south on a strong north
wind these days, and #590 is in her hanger, I have started
on some woodwork.  The discolored teak lazarette top was the
first investigation.  The top sat a bit proud of the hatch
rim, and while scraping the edges I noticed the wood was
soft.  Prying into the matter I ended up ripping it all off.
There was enough space on the edges to allow water into the
3/4" teak ply core, and most of it was wet and rotted.  The
top separated from the bottom wood of the hatch which was
impregnated with enough glass to survive.  The resulting
hollow has a bevel edge which seem to invite the drips in
for a stay.  Not the best design, as it relies on caulking
and sealing the ply end grain to keep the hatch intact.  I
wondered why that hatch was so heavy--it was the water.

I found that the pressure washer we used to clean the hull
worked very well at removing the grey mildew from the toe
rain and the cockpit boards.  It dried nicely, and I'll be
using a plain metal scraper to take off any remaining stuff.
I have found a good hardened scraper is also effective for
removing paint, although it is slow.

Bob Lincoln
#590 Gimli