[alberg30] winterizing an atomic 4

Doug Stevens doug.stevens at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 26 17:52:52 PDT 1999

Although I only sail in fresh water and haul the boat every winter the
falling has worked well for me over the past 9 winters in Toronto.
  a.. Run the engine (on land)  long  enough to insure the operating temp.
is sufficient to open the thermostat at which time circulate anti-freeze
through the system.
  b.. Some suggest fogging the carburetor  via the flame arrestor but I
never have.
  c.. I than take the frost plugs out of the block and drain the system into
the bilge. This is optional as some people would rather have the anti-freeze
in place
  d.. Loosen  all hose clamps . No need to disconnect hoses.
  e.. Loosen  water pump face plate screws . This will ensure there is
nothing that can freeze. You can take the plug out from under the pump but I
never have.
  f.. Loosen the alternator belt.
  g.. Remove spark plugs and pour a cap  or so of motor oil into the
openings. Replace plugs, hand tight. Turn engine over by hand. If you have
trouble starting in the spring it is probably because too much oil is on the
plugs. Remove them  and wipe them clean. If you can get to the boat during
the winter you may wish to turn the engine over to get some oil onto the
piston walls.
  h.. From the exterior plug the  (exhaust) thru hull with an oily rag.
  i.. Loosen the screws on the distributor cap.
  j.. Place an oily rag over the flame arrestor. Keeps moister out.
  k.. Shut off gas line -valve.
  l.. Drain exhaust system if  design permits.
I usually pump the excess anti-freeze out of the bilge. To finish off I
cover the engine with a towel, why I don't  know . I think it makes feel
better  when it,s really cold in January.

Hope this helps someone oth there.

Doug
Candy cane #583