[alberg30] winterizing an atomic 4

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Wed Oct 27 02:27:01 PDT 1999

From: Gordon White <gewhite at crosslink.net>

   I like to run antifreeze in rather than drain in order not to have some water
in a non-drained area freeze. My son drained his engine a year ago but did not
add antifreeze and there was enough retained water that it froze and cracked the
block. Very expensive.

    RE running the carburetor dry - A friend and I shared a pier for 20 years and
we both had outboard powered boats. I ALWAYS ran it dry on returning to the pier,
every time. My Evinrude was still going strong when I sold that boat. He had gone
through three or four motors. His were hard starting, wore out batteries and
starters and had a variety of troubles that would lead him to replacing an engine
every three or four years. It may not always have been gum in his carburetors,
but I have to think that was part of his problem.

                    - Gordon White