[alberg30] hatch

John Birch sunstone at idirect.com
Tue Oct 26 21:08:53 PDT 1999

From: John Birch <sunstone at idirect.com>

Sorry Russ but I have a propane plant operators certification and I guarantee you
PROPANE IS HEAVIER than air and will gather in the bilge.   Personally I won't
have propane below deck, my tank for the BBQ sits on the after deck lashed to the
pushpit on a wooden riser.

A fine alcohol stove is the non pressurized Origo, much safer than the
cantankerous pressure stoves.

Butane cylinders should be stored in a vented overboard, sealed (from the boat's
interior) locker, whether hooked up to the portable stove or not.  The amount of
butane in a cigarette lighter can destroy your boat, imagine what a failed seal
on one of those small cylinders can do.

John.