[alberg30] White Squall

Dick Filinich daf at mobiletel.com
Wed Sep 15 18:46:56 PDT 1999

From: Dick Filinich <daf at mobiletel.com>

I'll try to be brief.Sunday I took my boat out for just a couple of
hours,planned on sailing up bayou Lafourche to sharpen my tacking
skills.There were two lines of thunder storms in the distance and I was
between them.This bayou is flanked by marsh grasses and tree lines,the
wind was 12-15 app.Unable to see the wind coming had I been in open
waters,I was suddenly struck broad side while close hauled.I was sailing
with head sail and main.My boat heeled over to port so much I had water
on deck mid way from toe rail to cabin.It was all I could do to stay in
the cockpit.I managed to push the tiller hard over to port and turned it
into the wind,but before I could do anything she came around to
stbd.and  put the deck under water again.Well I was able to finally
release the main sheet let the boom swing out,by this time I had it on
bottom headed into the wind and lowered the sails.Pretty hairy for about
15 seconds,I just knew it was going over.Has any alberg  owner had an
experience like this?Sailing friend of mine says wind will spill out of
sails before the boat turns over,well I think my boat was heeled as much
as I cared to see it.I wasn't worried for myself,I was alone and was
worried about my boat.I just wonder if an a 30 can be rolled by wind
alone,or did I put my boat through a testing experience?I wonder how
many many degrees of angle I achieved,not that I had time to check it
out.Ha!Ha!Hey experts out there enlighten me.

Dick Fillinich  "High Spirits"#191 Galliano,La.

                 http://www.onelist.com/ad/gator1