[alberg30] chainplate bolts (at the hull end)

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Sun Sep 19 21:44:22 PDT 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

Bill;
The chainplate bolts, particularly the uppers, were undersized being
fully threaded 1/4" machine screws in sheer.  It is a shortcoming in an
other wise robust rig.

Solution, take them out, they will be bent most likely, drill out the
chain plate to 5/16" or 3/8" and install proper shanked hex head bolts
with the shank in way of the sheer forces - that is the head on the
chain plate side.

How much you drill out the holes will depend on how much the bent bolts
chew up the bulkhead when you remove them.

For a proper job you should also replace the lower chainplate bolts too
as it was those that failed when Yves Gélinas lost his mast South of New
Zealand.   You're not planning a Southern Ocean passage, well more than
one 30 has had a chain plate pop, even on Lake Ontario.

The lowers can be replaced with 1/4 to 5/16 shanked SS hex bolts as they
are twined.

While you're at it check your gooseneck and see if there are pop rivets
where the boom fits into the gooseneck sleeve fitting.  If there are
machine screws there all is well, if there are pop rivets change them to
machine screws, 1/4" and thread them in, use round head screws or hex
head not flat head as it will give the strongest connection.

Don't be concerned, you haven't bought a turkey, you should see some of
the modern boat fittings in other classes.  The A-30 is a robust
construction with good fitting out for the most part but there are a few
minor deficiencies which are fairly easy to remedy.  Join the Great
Lakes or Chesapeake Associations, which ever is closer to your area, and
enjoy.

Oh yea, if you have a very early boat with wooden spreaders keep a close
eye and lots of varnish on them, I had a set made in Aluminium air foil
shape for $300 CDN as I found rot in mine.   Don't let them change the
spreader base design though as it is plenty strong.

Fair winds,

John Birch, Sunstone KC-65, (ex Wind Rose KC-544)