[alberg30] Full Hoist Head Sail?

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Tue Sep 28 21:19:27 PDT 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

Listen to your sailmaker.  You will be pleased with the results.
As for rating, PHRF does not measure luff length and the base rating is
for a 150-152.9% besides.  A 135 would be a number 2 which will sparkle
in heavy air with the full hoist.   If you want to splurge on a great #3
get a 100% full hoist and you'll demolish the competition who are still
using the old working sail #3.

I do speak from experience, but have the sails cut fairly flat as there
is a lot of head stay sag to compensate for regardless as to how hard
you put on the backstay.   The biggest mistake modern sailmakers make
with these boats is to cut the sail too full and a large part of it is
because of the headstay sag factor.

Go for it.

John Birch

> Chester & Jan Koop wrote:
>
> I am in the process of replacing the genny (135%) on Tanagroa.  The
> current (and I believe original) 135 has an 18 inch wire pendant
> attached to the head.  The sail loft is recommending elimination of
> the pendant and making the new sail full hoist.  I suspect there was a
> valid reason for the pendant in the first place and wonder if the
> additional sail aloft (in a full hoist sail) would have any impact on
> handling/sailing characteristic or rating of an A30?  Any thoughts you
> have on this subject would be welcomed.
>
> Chet Koop
> Tangaroa #445

     GET 2 FREE MUSIC CDS AND LOWER YOUR PHONE BILL!  ACT NOW!
Sign up for Qwest long distance at Shopnow.com and receive 2 free music
CDs, huge savings on long distance, plus special deals! Expires 9/30!