[alberg30] virus

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Sat Apr 15 17:27:23 PDT 2000

OK, I did a bit of research and discovered that this virus affects
users of Outlook Express.  If you use something else to read your
email, you don't have to worry about this one, though Internet
Explorer could be subject to the same attack.  The short version
of the quick fix is to delete the following files, if they exist
on your system:

      C:\Windows\kak.htm
      C:\Windows\System\(filename).hta
         where (filename) is a variable, and it changes from one system
                            to another

      C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\kak.hta
      C:\Windows\Menu Demarrer\Programmes\Demarrage\kak.hta

      The "autoexec.bat" can be restored by copying the "C:\AE.KAK" to
"C:\autoexec.bat".

You should also disable "active scripting" in Outlook Express.

The above information comes from
http://www.datafellows.com/v-descs/kak.htm
which has further details about this virus.

Microsoft has issued a security bulletin about the defects in Outlook
Express and Internet Explorer that this virus takes advantage of.
See http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/fq99-032.asp
for information about the defect and
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms99-032.asp
for a patch to close this hole in IE and OE security.

I would advise downloading and running this patch.

 - George

Rabbit649 at AOL.com wrote:

> Dear George,
>     Please tell us what to do about this virus. I have very litte knowledge
> of how to deal with them. I ran the latest version of Dr. Solomon after your
> message about the virus in Towney's e-mail and it didn't detect anything,
> even though I had a copy of the e-mail saved in AOL. Does this mean I'm
> unaffected or could something show up later? How exactly does a virus script
> get from an e-mail into one's system, anyway? I don't have a virus checker
> that continually scans e-mail for viruses. Should I? What do you reccommend?
>     Now comes another message from Towney with a virus in it. What should we
> be doing about this?
> Paul
> #23 Ashwagh

eLerts