[alberg30] Blue water white knuckles

Dick Filinich daf at mobiletel.com
Sat Apr 29 20:34:47 PDT 2000

Hey All:This will be a bit long so move on if you wish,but first of all
today I installed my traveler system and Raytheon st 2000 pilot.Almost
felt like I was out for my first sail,that traveler allowed for better
main shape and I know I sailed closer to the wind than before.With the
boom either centered or to winward the boat sailed nicely,with wind
speeds of about 12kts and 80 degree temperatures made a fifteen mile
sail up and down bayou lafourche.Even sailing in confined waters the
auto pilot is great,set the pilot,and now single hand setting sails and
sailing will be too easy with that auto pilot.Next cut the main and get
some shade with a bimini top.Now last weeks adventure.The sail to grand
isle about 20 miles accompanied by a ct 54 was great,a beam reach all
the way ,wind out of the NW sunny and wind coming from land for a calm
sail.At night we had to hang astern of the ct to get some sleep the
winds just wouldn,t let up.Saturday we sailed the inside waters behind
grand isle,the ct's draft is 7',well he found the shallow spots a couple
of times and believe it or not , that mighty kubota of mines pulled him
off one time,all his crew forward,he in full reverse and I had him by a
tow line he came out stern first,now that made my day.That afternoon we
had boiled shrimp and crabs fresh off the shrimp boat and into the pot
while Al and Amy gave a good rendetion of Margaritaville,friends if it
could get better than that,it would be plain greediness.Easter sunday
morning the ct continued towards the Miss. gulf coast and we started our
return to port fourchon.Now I had mentioned that I wanted to get all
those mishaps while I single hand in a White Squall e-mail,and it paid
off.My year of sailing by myself and knockdown prepared me for the rough
seas we caught on the return sail.There wasn't enough wind to put up the
sails so we motored,and half way home the seas had built to 3-5.By the
time we made the jettys 3 hours later the seas had built to 5-7 with
occasional 8 footers,pushed by 20-25 mph winds.I'd given myself better
than a mile of seaway,the seas were from the port stern.My wife was the
white knuckles,my friend and his wife hid there fear pretty good I
believe,I kept my cool even with the fear of the engine shutting
down.Seems theres a shutdown if the engine is operating at too much
angle,and oil suction is broken.Well I was prepared to hoist a head sail
to get us in ,but finally came down weather far enough to turn for the
pass,seas now directly off stern I throttled back and let the seas pass
under the boat.My friend kept an eye on the angle indicator,that lil
white ball went past 45 more than once on the trip.My confidence in the
boat was passed on the the crew to ease their minds,and it worked.Well
we got in just ahead of worst weather,the winds picked up gusting to 35
the whole area seemed to be in a sand storm from the beach and parking
lots of the oilfield docks.In all of this I made one mortal mistake that
won't ever happen again,I failed to get a marine forcast before putting
out to sea,and as captain of the vessel I'm responsible for everything
that happens on a trip.The wife says lets sail the lakes and bays and I
agree.If you've never been in it yet that 30 footer will take a
bunch,she'll bury the decks under water and come up again.Sorry for this
long e-mail but maybe someone will benefit from it.
Dick #191 "High Spirits"Galliano,La.