[alberg30] fighting the virus thing # 3

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Sun Apr 16 07:28:51 PDT 2000

I've posted the Microsoft patch at
http://www.onelist.com/files/alberg30/utilities/q240308.exe

If you download and execute this program, it will turn off
the "ok for scripting" permission on two ActiveX controls
that this virus depends on for it's nefarious deeds.  I
highly recommend doing so (I have).  Allowing these ActiveX
controls to be invoked by scripts leaves a MAJOR security
hole in your system.  Until Microsoft shipped these controls
with Internet Explorer, there was no way to get a virus by
just reading an email.  Because Microsoft wanted to be able
to fiddle with your system without telling you, they opened
the door for anyone to do so.

 - George

> alberg30 wrote:
>
> Seems the virus is still there, as per  people smarter than me.
> Now that you are totally confused, try one more thing:
>
> [From an email passed between my father and another gear head...]
>
> <<We're supposed to also delete the registry setting.
> From what I think I understand, until that is done you will re-infect
> yourself each time you re-boot.
>
> If you don't know how to get to the registry, go to "Start Button,
> then Run"
> and type "regedit" (without the quotes) in the box, and hit OK. Then
> when
> the registry editor comes up, select "HKEY Local Machine" and double
> click
> on it, and follow the path listed in my other e-mail, or on that
> Symantec
> site, "Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run/, and you should
> see
> that file "cAgOu(and a bunch of numbers and letters)" listed in the
> right
> hand window, select it, and rightclick on it and select delete. Or hit
> delete in the "Edit" drop list. Just be careful not to change anything
> else
> in the registry but that one line.>>>
>

> Joe #499

High rates giving you headaches? The 0% APR Introductory Rate from
Capital One. 9.9% Fixed thereafter!
http://click.egroups.com/1/3010/5/_/476031/_/955895092/