[alberg30] bimini top

T K Blanc blancs at altavista.com
Wed Apr 19 18:39:14 PDT 2000

Just a thought, Dick: I wonder if the track is really necessary, and if you might not regret the extra knuckle-skinners on the coamings. It would be quite simple to put studs in the mounts and use a wing nut or a knurled nut (maybe nylon?) to make the feet quick-disconnect. You could probably come up with something even better (George, what was your idea?) Our boats aren't laid out the same - I have a single pair of winches on the "open" mounts, so I can slide the legs underneath them when it is down.

One last thoughts - okay, two - I would mount the bimini bases outside the coamings. Mine used to be on top the just get bashed and bloody toes when the bimini isn't attached. Also, the bulk of the three (maybe four) hoops, the bimini fabric and the cover adds up - your rear hatch will be difficult to access when the bimini is in the down position. Still, I like it better folded back than forward (tried both).

On Wed, 19 April 2000, Dick Filinich wrote:

> Gordon I'm not in a real big rush,it will take a couple of weeks to get
> my main to New Orleans and have it cut.I still have to install auto
> pilot and traveler next week.Lofts in N.O work only weekdays so I have
> to find time to get the sail there on a workday and then travel again to
> pick it up when finished.I'd like to see your set up.
>
> George :There seems to be some nice tops off the shelf,and 6'or8'lengths
> or probably standard,what is yours?
>
> T.K Blanc:I believe I understand how your top is set up,what I would
> like to do is to mount the top mid way between winches on a track so I
> could lay the top forward in a hurry or slide it back,detach main sheet,
> slide it back and lay down on deck just ahead of stern hatch,reattach
> main and cockpit would be clear.I'll have a top builder come out to my
> boat and see what can be done and at what price,but if I can do this
> with off the shelf top will be much cheaper than custom top.In the mean
> time I'll wait for some photos,thanks a bunch guys.If the weather
> cooperates this weekend,gonna sail my boat to Grand Isle thats about 20
> miles from my marina,I'll be accompanied by my friend and his crew
> aboard his 54'ct ketch.Were gonna raft up just off fort livingston and
> spend the weekend.His boat is for sail and this will probably be her
> last trip.1980 asking $110k.After his wife passed away couple of years
> ago his heart is not in her boat,needs tlc.Hey rambling on again thanks
> again .
> Dick #191 High Spirits

> Get paid while you shop!
> You also get an additional 10% off on retailers
> like--Disney.com, eCost.com, FogDog.com and more.

Why pay when you don't have to? Get AltaVista Free Internet Access now!
http://jump.altavista.com/freeaccess4.go

http://click.egroups.com/1/2936/5/_/476031/_/956194757/