[alberg30] Re: Wrapping the exhaust manifold

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Tue Apr 25 21:28:52 PDT 2000

> What do you wrap the exhaust manifold pipe in? --Why do you need to
> wrap it?

Joe,

First the why... you need to minimize the heat that radiates from the
pipe, both to avoid structural damage and as a safety measure becasue of
the presence of fuel lines, wiring, hoses and the like that won't
tolerate a high degree of local heating.

When I replaced mine a year or so ago, a local boat year had some
insulating wrapper that was intended for marine purposes. However,
someone told me later that essentially the same material is sold in the
automotive market for race car and other applications, a lot cheaper.
Suggest you try a large auto parts store, or maybe look on the internet
at JC Whitney or some other large supplier. On my boat (1966), the
original jacketing was asbestos.

--Dan Sternglass
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY

If you love your Mother...
Click Here
http://click.egroups.com/1/3653/5/_/476031/_/956723204/