[alberg30] Battery storage-drilling holes in liner pan

Alan P. Kefauver apk2 at home.com
Wed Apr 26 06:08:34 PDT 2000

My boat has 4 floor panels forward of the engine. The first three are deep the last is shallow. Hull #152. I have put the starter battery closest to the engine and used two large deep cycle cells in parallel with one in each box forward of the starting battery.Two large batteries will not fit in the same box. Additionally, the speed transducer is the second one forward and I wanted to keep the battery away from that. Each battery is strapped down. I drilled 1 " holes with a hole saw and a half inch drill between all three boxes. My 3/8" drill bogged down. The partitions were about one and a quarter inch thick! I have used a West battery combiner between the two banks and connected the alternator output directy to the house bank.  Never have blown diodes. Both banks run to an emergency parallel switch that will allow both circuits to start the engine if necessary, but other than that they are completely separate. The charger (shore side) also feeds the house bank only. When the combiner sees a voltage above a certain level it opens and charges both banks simultaneously. I used 1/0 battery cable for the runs. The automatic bilge pump is also tied directly to the house batteries and separately fused with an emergency cutoff. Both the House and starter circuit have a 100 amp fuse block in the positive battery line.

For those who are interested, I am using a Blue Sea 13 breaker panel with meters. That and a Blue Sea master switch panel and parallel circuit fit in a a 9.5 inch by 21 inch by 7 inch deep teak box that sits across the top of the engine compartment below the companionway just under the old compass well. I hinged it on the right so it could swing out for maintenance.

I have had to drill a number of holes elsewhere in the boat for new electrical cables. Gosh, these boats are built! Just about everything is twice as thick as it was on my Cal 2-29. Structural integrity is amazing. Have fun, but don't try to drill that hole with a cordless 3/8 drill.

Alan
Andante (almost done) #152
(engine coming back May 8th)