[alberg30] Permanent Moorings

Bob Johns rjohns3 at optonline.net
Thu Apr 27 09:39:10 PDT 2000

>Never-the-less, I would like to know if anyone has installed their own
>permanent mooring and if so, what kind and size mushroom anchor, size of
>chain, etc.  Any words of wisdom is welcome.

Brian,

After several storms caused severe damage when boats broke loose and
damaged other boats, a Northport Harbor Advisory Board was set up to set
standards on  moorings. These recommendations are for a boat of 10,000
pounds displacement and length overall of 30 feet. The minimum mooring size
is a 300 pound mushroom anchor.

Minimum chain and pennant requirements are:

	Lower Chain:     20 feet @ 1/2 inch
	Upper Chain:     20 feet @ 3/8 inch
	Minimum Pennant:   22 feet @ 3/4 inch

(Two pennants required: Equal lengths to split the load, or uneven lengths
so that one acts as a safety. The pennants must be three strand nylon and
new each year.)

A mooring buoy to support the weight of the chain must float 12  inches
above the surface while supporting the chain. Chafing gear, swivels for
between the chains, etc. are also specified.

The complete standard covers about three pages and I am including only the
major items.

I hope that this helps.

	Bob Johns.  Wind Call #397

http://click.egroups.com/1/3019/5/_/476031/_/956853635/