[alberg30] Permanent Moorings

David Bogle BOGLE at BWAY.NET
Fri Apr 28 19:33:45 PDT 2000

finnus505 at aol.com wrote:

> Hey Brian,
> Setting up a permanent mooring is somethng you want to get right the first
> time!!!!!
> Chapman's book on seamanship has a good section on setting up a mooring, (at
> least my edition from the '80s does) as to chain thickness, swivel location,
> mushroom weight, etc. Always grease the shackle pins ...snip

Thanks, Lee for the great post.  I'm just looking over the mooring I
bought with the boat last October.  The swivel is at the mushroom, worn
shackle at the mushroom, etc...

I'm taking the hack saw out there tomorrow, and ordering new shackles
Monday.

Since you seem to know about the pendant lines, or bowlines, I have a
question.  The foredeck cleat on my Pearson Commander (aka Alberg
25'-7") is an 8" cleat.  My new Yale pendants have a 12" eye.  Where do
I stand?  New cleat?  Safety line over them?  The old ones may have been
10" eyes, but I have not measured them.

Regards,
David
--