[alberg30] Wrinkled Varnish

finnus505 at aol.com finnus505 at aol.com
Wed Apr 26 16:48:53 PDT 2000

Hi Bill,
As someone who has done everything wrong in varnishing at least once, I think
the most common cause of wrinkles in the varnish is a coat that is put on too
heavily.  Because it is a deeper layer, it looks great wet, but once it dries
the wrinkles become apparent.

This is a messy mistake to have to correct, because the dry wrinkles on the
surface usualy is on top of a gelatinous layer of partialy dried varnish.
Paint remover or thinner is not a good way to go because it will damage the
previous coats.  Using a scraper, gently remove as much of the goo as you
can, then give any residue time to dry, then sand down to good varnish as
soon as you can sand without the paper being immidiately flled by the goo, in
other words, you can't sand until all the residual goo has dried.

Off hand I can't think of any other cause of wrinkling varnish, but that
doesn't mean there aren't any!  Any thoughts from the group?
Hope this helps,
Lee
Stargazer #255

Double your manufacturer's warranty on all computers,
home appliances, and electronics AND win up to $500
towards your purchase!
http://click.egroups.com/1/3749/5/_/476031/_/956792942/