[alberg30] Topsides paint

John Bailey baileyje at voyager.net
Sun Aug 20 04:02:30 PDT 2000

Boy, am I learning a lesson.  I finished the port side of "Zevulun" with Iterlux Brightsides.  I put two coats of primer as directed by the factory using brush strokes horizontal for the first coat and vertical for the second coat.  I called the factory again because the brush strokes were so apparent.  They told me not to worry, it would look OK.  It looks terrible.  After one coat of final paint, you can still see awful brush strokes.  I believe the problem is the primer.  On the starboard side I tried a small patch with no primer and it looks a lot better.  I'm am going to do the starboard side with no primer.  After waiting a few days to let the port side cure, I'm going to sand it down and start over again.  Live and learn.  I don't blame the paint or the advise I got from the factory.  They couldn't see my results.  I think it may have been a bit too warm or humid (it was upper 70's) when I put the primer on and I didn't use thinner.  If anyone else had a similar problem, I would like to hear about it to see if there is something else I could have done, or could do.

John Bailey
"Zevulun"  #33