[alberg30] Bits and pieces

Peter Amos P.A.Amos at tesco.net
Thu Aug 10 00:42:38 PDT 2000

John,Tait Tait's present tank is 7 gallons aluminium. It is shaped like a shallow matchbox with all the hose points clustered on the top at the forward end.The forward end rests on a transverse bar positioned above the shaft stuffing box, the corners of the rear end rest on the hull.The front end is lower than rear end.The wheel steering cables are above the tank.Because it slopes forward it cannot be filled to capacity, the air vent is at the front.
Definitely not a standard installation. The boat had been repowered with a Westerbeke diesel and wheel steering added when I bought her.The  steering cables are the reason for the shallow tank.
As it is so shallow the fuel slops to the back as soon as the boat pitches in rough water and the engine sucks air and dies.It even happened on the ICW when I was waked by a power boat.I suspect the tank has no baffles.This happened so many times that I developed bleeding the engine to an art form.
If you have a West Marine 1999 catalogue have a look at pages 230. My present tank looks like a 7 gal. version of TP25L,but only 5inches deep, the new one will be a TP18TT-P.
Last season I lived aboard Tait Tait for six months, mostly in the remoter areas of the Bahamas where fuel is not available.I like simplicity,fewer things to go wrong so no generator,wind vane or solar panels.The engine charges the batteries. I also have the philosophy that engines should be run up to temperature under load  once in a while to keep them in condition so my fuel consumption may be a bit higher than others.
I got the idea of an 18 gallon locker tank from another A30. It's tall long and skinny and sits on the ledge in the locker. Earlier A30's may not have this ledge as it is part of the liner moulding.It will occupy space that is not used anyway.With this tank I can dispose of the yellow diesel jugs and increase useful storage space.I may even put one in the port locker and use it for extra fresh water storage.
Peter Amos
Tait Tait #478