[alberg30] Bits and pieces

finnus505 at aol.com finnus505 at aol.com
Sat Aug 12 08:15:07 PDT 2000

P.A.Amos at tesco.net writes:

<< I also want to increase the size of the existing drains at the forward end
of the cockpit and reposition their thru hulls and valves to a more
accessible position. I had in mind to take them out of the engine  >>

Hi peter,

i wanted to get access to the cockpit scupper sea cocks, as well as the back
of my engine.  The volvo I have is taller than the A4, so you can't climb
over it to get to these things.

I installed a Bomar Access Panel  in the forward  section of the cockpit
sole.  I think it is about 19" x22" inches in size.  It is their biggest
plastic access panel, and I ordered it through West Marine for about 60
dollars or so.

When you cut out the hole for this hatch, you will be amazed at the access
you get to the stuffing box, the seacocks, and the engine.  I don't know how
anyone gets along without this.

When you are cutting the hole, use sharp blades on your saw, and keep
changing them.  I know on my boat, #255, the cockpit sole is very heavily
made of sandwichs of masonite boards, and glass laminates.  I pushed on with
dull blades, and the vibration caused a bit of delamination.  I repaired it
with gitrot, but I wish I had avoided making that problem.

One more thing; after I put the hatch in place, I noticed it gave a bit when
I stood on it.  I thought it would be stronger.  Hamilton Marine, in main,
carries aluminum access hatches for the fishing fleet.  That is the way to
go, but these hatches cost 300 or more.  That was out of my budget for this
project, so I cut a peice of 1/2 inch plywood to fit the foward end of the
cockpit, and prtotect the hatch.  I will make a nice, strong teak grating,
eventualy, for a more cosmetic solution.

Hope this helps,
Lee
Stargazer #255

Click for more information on how eGroups members save with beMANY!
http://click.egroups.com/1/8050/10/_/476031/_/966093316/