[alberg30] cutter rigged

finnus505 at aol.com finnus505 at aol.com
Sun Aug 20 07:12:37 PDT 2000

In a message dated 8/20/00 12:57:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
daf at mobiletel.com writes:

<< y All:On my boat there is a diamond pad eye about three feet aft of
 the head stay.Is it possible to use a halyard or topping lift(spinnaker
 pole)attached to this pad eye on deck as a stay and hoist a second sail
 with the spinnaker halyard or topping lift to rig as cutter.Has any one >>
Hi Dick,
The padeye in the middle of the fordeck is most likely the attachment site
for the spinaker pole downhaul block.  The line on my boat goes from the
middle of the pole, to this turning block, then along the port side of the
cabin, where the working end goes through a camcleat that is on the forward,
outboard side othe port cockpt coaming.

As far as setting up a cutter rig on the Alberg 30, the guy who
circumnavigated in an A30 had added a staysail.  He made a few modifications,
as he needed the strongest possible rig, in view of his plan.  He got a new
mast, added a second set of spreaders, and running backstays.  I'm not sure
how he beefed up the fordeck to make it strong enough to handle the upward
pull of the staysail stay. He made a video of the voyage which is great to
watch.  He is very happy to talk and answer any questions that are asked of
him at his website.  I don't have the address here, but someone on the list
must.

hope this helps,
Lee Stargazer #255
P.S., I don't want to comment on your teak finish question-I like varnish,
and have not had experience with the Armada, so I will let someone else on
the list help you with that.

Feeling good? Feel better in a new car.
With our prices, you can buy two (then call me in the morning)
Click below.
http://click.egroups.com/1/8422/10/_/476031/_/966780764/