[alberg30] A4 transmission shackle

alberg30 alberg30 at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 11 22:04:04 PST 2000

In the process of removing the engine to have it repaired, I had to cut the transmission shackle---the piece that connects the transmission cable to the transmission lever arm on the back of the Atomic Four.

The shackle appears to be steel, approximately 3 1/4" long, with female threads at one end to accept 5/16-24 SAE (which is the male end of the trany cable.) The other end of the shackle is forked, and accepts a 3/8" clevis pin, which goes through the forks and then through a hole in the trany lever arm.

The distance between the two forks on the transmission shackle is approximately 5/8" wide, and 2" long.

Anyone know where to get a replacement shackle? Don Moyer is at a loss, and I am waiting to hear from Fawcetts, in Annapolis,MD.

Anyone have a used one off their junker Atomic 4 they want to sell/swap for something? I have a really bad scanned photo of the offending part if you're interested in seeing what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance,

Joe #499
"One Less Traveled"

eGroups eLerts