[alberg30] Pearson returns like the Phoenix

Gord Laco gord at transatmarine.com
Mon Dec 11 07:59:37 PST 2000

Hello,

I started a little game with myself in 1980 that goes like this.  I resolved
that each year I would get one person (or couple) who have never owned a
sailing yacht into a boat, each year.   I have never had fewer than one
"victim" as my wife puts it, some years I have two, one year I had three.

I do it by encouraging people who crew for me to develop a love for the
sport, and an appreciation for good boats.  Once I see a prospect coming
along, (my wife says "showing vulnerbility") I put them in contact with
boats that need them and let nature take it's course.  I encourage, but try
not to push! One of my alterior motives is to save good boats by getting
them into the hands of people who will appreciate their qualities.  These
boats are usually older (sometimes wooden) yachts that are in jeapordy of
being taken by uncaring people who might buy them just because they are on
the market cheap.  Most of my victims remain friends with me. Ha ha ha.

In a small way this little game is good for the sport and in a big way it is
good for the boats and the people who fall in love with them.

Gord
KC426 Surprise