[alberg30] Charitable gifts of boats in Canada

Marianne King-Wilson addvalue at zeuter.com
Wed Dec 27 11:14:31 PST 2000

For Canadian list subscribers:

I am part of a local sailing club and school with an incorporated
foundation, which receives a lot of donated boats, and cash gifts for
the purpose of buying new boats, for the kids' school.

Have you any experience in giving boats, old or new, to sailing clubs,
schools or foundations?
What is your experience with respect to Canadian  taxation?

We have had conflicting advice regarding

    * whether or not the teaching of safe sailing, especially to kids or
      differently-abled people, might be considered a charitable venture.
    * whether or not a business making a cash donation for a new boat,
      ought to just paint  its name on the sail or transom and call it
      advertising, rather than trying to persuade the government to
      consider it a donation.

I'd  greatly appreciate hearing from you, if you have experience with
this issue.
No need to clutter the mail list; if you wish to contact me directly,
please do so.

Marianne King-Wilson
Windward #369

eLerts