[alberg30] Need Rudder Help

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Mon Feb 7 18:31:08 PST 2000

From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at min.net>

David

> 1. Has anyone replaced this fitting?  Is it a stock fitting or will I
> need to get one fabricated?

I think you'll need to have one fabricated.  I think Phil Beigel has
one that was drilled off-center that he's used for a pattern.  You
might call him about it.

Bruce Rankin highly recommends bedding the shoe in 5200 and using
a torch to heat it when you need to take it off.  He says that
you'll never lose one that way.

> 2. How do I remove the remnants of the pin & replace it?  What is the
> correct diameter?

It's a 1/2" pin.  You may find it's a 1/2-13 headless bolt threaded
into the 1" rudder post.  Or, it may just be the end of the 1" post
turned down to a 1/2" pin.  In any event, the fix is to use a
bronze bolt to replace the pin.

There are several different construction methods detailed in the
maintenance manual.

> 3. How do I remove the rudder?  I assume that I pull the prop shaft out
> & lower the rudder, but how do I get the gudgeons (sp?) in the center of
> the rudder off of the shaft?  This may be obvious once I remove the
> multiple layers of bottom paint, but it was too late today to start
> stripping it.

The gudgeons are two pieces.  You'll probably find you have to remove
some fairing compound under the paint to get to the screws.

Want To Be Showered With Kisses?
Visit eGroups Valentine Gift Guide