[alberg30] Need Rudder Help

David Swanson zira at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 7 20:40:55 PST 2000

From: David Swanson <zira at mindspring.com>

Hello -

Pulled Strayaway Child #229 out today for routine maintenance & found an
un-expected problem:  The rudder heel fitting was missing and the pin
badly damaged.  So, I need some help.

1. Has anyone replaced this fitting?  Is it a stock fitting or will I
need to get one fabricated?
2. How do I remove the remnants of the pin & replace it?  What is the
correct diameter?
3. How do I remove the rudder?  I assume that I pull the prop shaft out
& lower the rudder, but how do I get the gudgeons (sp?) in the center of
the rudder off of the shaft?  This may be obvious once I remove the
multiple layers of bottom paint, but it was too late today to start
stripping it.

Any & all help appreciated.

dls
Strayaway Child
Alberg 30 #229

Valentine's Day Shopping Made Simple.  Click Here!