[alberg30] wheel steering

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Tue Feb 15 06:52:02 PST 2000

From: Gordon White <gewhite at crosslink.net>

   I installed a wheel on my A-30 a year ago and am very happy with it with one caveat: All kinds of experts advised not to put the wheel too far aft. Now that it is in - and nearly impossible to move - I wish I had installed it about six inches farther aft - leaving just enough room to stand. It is now just too far forward for the helmsman to sit on the traveler so I had to make a temporary seat that spans the cockpit. Also, it takes up too much room in the cockpit. Be better a little more aft.

    I installed a small manhole (about 12 inches diameter)  between the pedestal and the rudderpost to allow access to the sheaves. I do not see how you install it without that access. I already had an 18 x 18 access hatch forward in the cockpit sole over the engine.

    Also bought a small fiberglass enclosure I mounted on the pedestal for the depth & speed instruments and the autopilot head. I really like that setup.

    I bought a lot of used and new but "surplus" bits and pieces, as the Edson stuff is super-expensive. Look in the various used boat gear shops before you buy everything new, but be sure what you are buying, as I did get a couple of things that did not fit. Some I returned and some I sold on e-Bay.

    I am a determined do-it-yourselfer but this job was too big for me. It's really tough to get at under the cockpit; also the rudder had to be pulled to install the stuffingbox. It's a yard job.

            - Gordon White A-275

FREE ADVICE FROM REAL PEOPLE!  Xpertsite has thousands of experts who
are willing to answer your questions for FREE.  Go to Xpertsite today
and put your mind to rest.