[alberg30] main traveler system

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Tue Feb 15 12:32:27 PST 2000

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

In a message dated 2/15/00 12:56:42 AM Eastern Standard Time, Rap1208 at aol.com
writes:

<< Great improvement.  You
 will be amazed at how much it improves sail trim.  You will be able to trim
 the boom on centerline in light air, or even a little to windward of that
for
 more weather helm.  Note I said 'a little', and ease the sail down without
 losing overall trim.
 Russ   251 >>
I second. We had the original triangle sheeting arrangement on Stargazer when
we bought her, and then installed the Harken complete traveler system;
central car, end blocks, and cam cleats, on the aft deck, just aft of the
cockpit.  Tremendous difference.  In light air, as Russ describes, great sail
shape control; in heavy air, tremendous ease in dropping the traveler to
leeward,and then picking it back up in lulls.  Makes it a usable tool.
The question we had when we did the installation was; should we cut a teak
'spacer' to go under the traveler track to compensate for the crown in the
deck, so the traveler remains straight, or just mount the traveler to the
deck, following the crown.  For ease of installation, we took the second
option.  The 'spacer' advocates beleive, and rightly so, that if the traveler
follows the crown of the deck, when you lower the traveler car to leeward,
you are tightening the sheet by the height of the crown. How significant this
is is the question. Maybe we can have some input from the membership here.
I know on some Finns, the 14'9" centerboarder, the camber of the traveler is
actualy reversed; significantly higher at its outboard ends, to allow the
main leech to open when the traveler is dropped to leeward in high winds.
(uh oh....sounds like I'm starting another thread here.  :)   )
Lee
Stargazer #2255

FREE ADVICE FROM REAL PEOPLE!  Xpertsite has thousands of experts who
are willing to answer your questions for FREE.  Go to Xpertsite today
and put your mind to rest.