[alberg30] Alberg 30, Texas review--other possibilities

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Tue Feb 1 12:41:05 PST 2000

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

In a message dated 2/1/00 3:30:21 AM Eastern Standard Time, RABBIT649 at aol.com
writes:

<< From: RABBIT649 at aol.com

 In a message dated 1/31/00 12:58:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
 FINNUS505 at aol.com writes:

 > The 26 foot Arial is another good boat, but try as I have, I cannot get
 >  passed her big dog house, and straight sheer. Ugly. But they are
 extrememly
 >  well built, good sailors, and good accomodation for their size.
 Lee, what do you think of the Pearson Commander (Ariel hull, big cockpit)?
 How would you compare her with a B27 Weekender for construction, looks ,
 handling, ergonomics? I want to settle on one boat, then look only for that.
 Paul,
 #23 Ashwagh

Hi Paul,
In truth, these two boats are very close, and you probably will be happy with
either.  they are both well built, and able sailors.  The Bristol 27 is the
better looking  design, with a springier sheer, and slightly longer ends. One
day, I was sailing with my friend on his Arial, and we were parralleling the
course of a Bristol 27, which was towing a dinghy. Our speeds were equal,
telling us that the Bristol 27 was the faster boat-no surprise, since she is
longer, and has more sail. It was blowing about 14 kts that day.
I totaly enjoyed Scott's letter about his electra. there is someone who
enjoys his boat!!  The trouble with electra's is they are hard to find! The
23 foot sea sprite that he mentions is another good one, and many more are
available, and I see them for 2-3 grand commonly.  This would be a good
choice, Paul, if you are looking in that size range.  As far as sailing
characteristics go, though, there is a difference in feel of 23 vs. 27, and
that is a personal decision as to what you are looking for.  As far as saftey
and capablity, the electra and the sea sprite will take anything the larger
boats will.  But after sailing my Alberg 22, and then the 30, I know the
handling and speed are different, and it is up to you to decide what you want
this new boat to do for you. Personaly, between the Arial and the Bristol
27,I would choose the Bristol.   Fun to think about all this, though. I wish
I could have one of each!! And a 29' Dragon, the former olympic keel boat!!
hope this helps,
Lee

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds.  Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
Intro APR and no hidden fees.  Apply NOW.