[alberg30] Heres a great smaller boat...

Michael Grosh mgrosh at shore.intercom.net
Fri Feb 4 13:07:20 PST 2000

From: "Michael Grosh" <mgrosh at shore.intercom.net>

>If by this you mean to imply that full-keeled daysailors are less practical
and seaworthy,
I am not implying that

>poorer performers than their fin-keeled sisters,
I am implying that

>sailors choose them solely for their "fulfilling" (aesthetic?) qualities,
My definition of fulfilling is... whatever floats your boat.

>A full-keeled vessel will be more practical; she will be able to carry more
>weight and still maintain her trim and design waterline.
My argument is intended to address more of what the function of a daysailor
is...to me, weight carrying ability (again, in a daysailor)is less important
than enjoying the sail (i.e. performance). The ability to store a vessel on
a trailer, and to launch it on a mountain lake if so desired, drive the bow
up on a deserted island for a family picnic, and yes, to race as a one
design in a large class, strikes me as conforming more to what the nominal
16-25' boat owner requires

>  The full-keeled daysailor will almost certainly perform better in higher
winds and seas; depending on the design, she may >also perform better in
light airs.
I see no basis for that statement-properly reefed, a small boat  able to be
'worked' through seas , well, the more responsive the rudder is, and the
lighter it is(for acceleration) the quicker it will be, and I haven't even
addressed planing potential. Physically demanding? Yes. Exhilarating? Yes.
Would I want to do it for extended periods of time? No. Park it at the end
of the day. That is what a daysailor is. As far as light air
performance...for many, many years marine architects have been besotted with
the notion of reduced wetted surface area/better light air performance. I
suspect there is more to it than that, but one has to fly in the face of
science to discuss it.

>Anyone familiar with Ted Hood's centerboard hulls -- not full-keeled boats,
but closer in design to a modified full-keel than >to a high-aspect fin keel
The Hood designs I am familiar with are in the area of 50' club
cruiser/racers-middle of the range compromise boats(and yes, I know all
boats are compromises-I've got a back yard full of proofs :)  I suppose if I
had $250,000-500,000  in a boat,I would want one that did everything as well
as possible. What I have as a daysailor is a 16' Chrysler Man of War (like a
Laser)- I can single hand it,and because it is high performance it gives an
immediate reward for proper handling-a good platform for kids to learn to
sail on, by the way. It won't sink if swamped, and can easily be righted if
capsized.
What I think of when I think of a good family daysailor? Flying Scot.
Back to the fulfilling thing-People fall in love with what they like-I
support their preferences. The Bay is full of 'character' boats-more often
than not, with characters on them. I just question the value of suggesting
to someone getting into sailing purchasing a vessel 1. at the lower end of
performance  2 limited in versatility(for it's size).

Well, this ended up as a lot of verbiage for what is, after all, the Alberg
30 list-a full keeler more than just a daysailor:-)

Michael
Checkmate#220

eGroups' Valentine's Day Gift Guide - Shop Here Now: