[alberg30] Heres a great smaller boat...

SandersM at aol.com SandersM at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 13:43:05 PST 2000

From: SandersM at aol.com

In a message dated 2/4/00 4:20:56 PM, mgrosh at shore.intercom.net writes:

>My argument is intended to address more of what the function of a daysailor
>is...to me, weight carrying ability (again, in a daysailor)is less important
>than enjoying the sail (i.e. performance). The ability to store a vessel
>on a trailer, and to launch it on a mountain lake if so desired, drive the
>bow up on a deserted island for a family picnic, and yes, to race as a one
>design in a large class, strikes me as conforming more to what the nominal
>16-25' boat owner requires

Actually, I think that a full-keeled boat does most of these things better
than a fin-keeled one.  A deep-draft fin-keel boat is tough to get on and off
a trailer; will not take the ground with ease; cannot approach a shoaling
shore for beaching.  By these criteria, you'd be better-served by a Doughdish
or a 12 1/2, wouldn't you?

I think you are right that we all approach these questions with the biases of
our own experiences, and I recognize that there must be advantages to
fin-keeled boats.  My own biases lead me to consider most fin-keeled boats to
present compromises I'd rather not make.   You are right, full-keeled boats
are certainly not speed demons -- but neither are fin-keeled monohulls.  When
I'm looking for an exhiliarating sail,  you'll find me on board a catamaran.
The Philistines will be on their Donzis.

Sanders

Want To Be Showered With Kisses?
Visit eGroups Valentine Gift Guide