[alberg30] Take non A-30 stuff off the list please!

SandersM at aol.com SandersM at aol.com
Sun Feb 6 16:06:00 PST 2000

From: SandersM at aol.com

In defense of all of us perpetrators, I would like to note that the two
offtopic threads -- and I accept (for present purposes) that discussions of
other boat designs and nautical literature are offtopic -- were clearly
labelled; that I and others offered initially to take them offlist if anyone
objected, and no one did; that more than a few of us participated in them;
and that, but for these two threads, the list has been nearly silent, but for
a rousing discussion of how to pull one's prop.

Maybe I need to get a life -- my girlfriend thinks me a quaint but hopeless
eccentric for (among other things) corresponding with a group of strangers
united only by their common ownership of an Alberg 30.  But I think of the
participants in this list more as friends than strangers, even though I've
yet to meet a single one of you face-to-face.  (I once passed abeam of IL
MOLINO.  Does that count?)  And I found these two threads to be enjoyable
conversations with those friends, that afforded a welcome respite from the gre
yness of winter.  And I learned a few things along the way, and I was made
aware of a wonderful book (N by E) that I would otherwise have likely never
discovered.  And I was given occasion to revisit a number of beautiful small
boat designs, which in turn gave me renewed appreciation for the qualities of
the Alberg 30 that led me ultimately to choose her over all the others.  And
so, by commodious vicus of recirculation, the discussion returned (for me) to
the on-topic rediscovery of why I have such an emotional attachment to a
snowcovered 10,000-pound hunk of steel, dacron and fibreglass that sucks so
much money out of my bank account.

I was sorry to hear, George, that some have left the list.  Tell us:  Was any
of them an Alberg 30 owner?  Oh, and please accept my apologies in advance if
this post is itself considered offtopic.

Sanders McNew
WILD ELF  (# 297)
Oyster Bay, New York

Finding a sweetheart is hard work. Shopping for one shouldn't be.
Click here for Valentine Surprises.