[alberg30] No Defense needed (was Take non A-30 stuff off the list please!)

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Sun Feb 6 18:36:46 PST 2000

From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at min.net>

SandersM at aol.com wrote:

> In defense of all of us perpetrators, I would like to note that the two
> offtopic threads -- and I accept (for present purposes) that discussions of
> other boat designs and nautical literature are offtopic -- were clearly
> labelled; that I and others offered initially to take them offlist if anyone
> objected, and no one did; that more than a few of us participated in them;
> and that, but for these two threads, the list has been nearly silent, but for
> a rousing discussion of how to pull one's prop.

No defense needed.  I think Dan's point is that it's starting to go on
too
long.  IOW, it's a request for different action in the future, not a
complaint about past action.

> Maybe I need to get a life -- my girlfriend thinks me a quaint but hopeless
> eccentric for (among other things) corresponding with a group of strangers
> united only by their common ownership of an Alberg 30.  But I think of the
> participants in this list more as friends than strangers, even though I've
> yet to meet a single one of you face-to-face.

I've made some very good friends on-line.  Some I've had the chance to
subsequently meet.  Some I haven't.  Some in each category I've grieved
deeply at their deaths.

> I was sorry to hear, George, that some have left the list.  Tell us:  Was any
> of them an Alberg 30 owner?  Oh, and please accept my apologies in advance if
> this post is itself considered offtopic.

I don't know who has left or for what reason.  I really don't monitor
the
list members.  I just happened to notice today that the number of
subscribers was down from a couple weeks ago.

In any event, I think the best solution would be a private newsgroup for
the chatty part of this, but I don't have a server for that and I don't
like any of the web-based substitutes.  Someday I'll take care of that.

 - George

Unique Valentine gifts, available now at eGroups.