[alberg30] Beam damage in later models: was brass plaque, etc

Guy Lalonde lalondegc at videotron.ca
Mon Feb 7 19:34:18 PST 2000

From: Guy Lalonde <lalondegc at videotron.ca>

Tom,

I agree with George. I have #466 and need to do some repair. It is not the
beam. The beam rests on the bulkhead, which rests on the floor liner, which
rests on the hull (well not quite).. Pull out the teak and holly floor piece
in your v-berth and with a flashlight look under aft toward the v-berth
doorway. You'll see the liner doesn't rest on the bilge, and the bilge at
that point is a little wider than the doorway.

Then look or feel you way under the liner (where the bulkhead rests against
it) on both side of the bilge. If like mine, there is an inch or more of
clearance for quite a distance. So there is probably 1.5 feet (give or take
a few inches) of unsupported area on each side of center. I guess Alberg
relied too heavily on the stiffness of the floor liner to support the
pressure of the rig.

And there is some balsa core material under the liner where the door step
is, presumably to add stiffness but there is no fiberglass on the underside
of the core. Seems to me stiffness requires a sandwich of core with
fiberglass on both sides. Maybe another cost cutting shortcut taken by
Alberg.

Another telltale sign, crawl into the v-berth, with your flaslight look at
the floor liner to port and starboard alongside the bulkhead. You may find
stress cracks or outright cracks altogether. Anyhow a fix is proposed in the
maintenance manual.

Have a real close look and inspect everything you can to determine the right
cause.

Guy.
Cyrena #466