[alberg30] Phil Rhodes

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Tue Feb 8 01:52:51 PST 2000

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

In a message dated 2/7/00 10:28:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
daf at mobiletel.com writes:

<< e said that Carl
 Alberg was the designer with someone else that he couldn't recall.After
 checking the pearson web site,it listed Phil Rhodes as designer,could
 this have been a collaboration by these two men,or did they join forces >>on
the vanguard.
Hi Dick,
I have that beautiful book on Phil Rhodes, and it has an article on the 32
foot vanguard. there is no mention of collaboration between Rhodes and Alberg
on this design.
Both designers excelled in turning out the old CCA type hull, but if you look
closely , which I love to do :) you can see they each had their own
approaches.  Rhodes liked slightly longer overhangs, and slightly higher,
wall sided topsides, amongst other differences.  Which was 'better'?  The
longer ends in the Rhodes boats might have produced more speed in flat water,
but then probably hobby-horsed more in chop and waves, and taking the other
differences into account, it comes down to you taking your pick.
The Vanguards are beautiful boats, no doubt.  There were 4 of them at Miramar
in Sheepshead Bay when I was sailing there in the 70's, snd the owner's loved
them.  I have to say, though, that when my dad picked up an older, 1965
Islander 32, I was surprised that the Islander proved to be the faster boat.
Great boats, in any case,
Lee

Valentine's Day Shopping Made Simple.  Click Here!